“No worries” is a phrase you’ll hear daily in Jamaica. Nothing is a problem on this island paradise where fun in the sun is what it’s all about. Warm sea breezes, rich culture, majestic mountains, reggae vibes…there are so many reasons this Caribbean gem is the “Home of All Right!” Jamaica is bursting with excitement and adventure, so go ahead and start planning your perfect day! Whether you choose to lay on the beach until sunset, venture off on a thrilling excursion, or unleash your inner foodie by sampling a variety of delicious cuisine, you’ll never have a shortage of fun things to see and do in this tropical oasis.
Here are some helpful and interesting facts about Jamaica:
• Jamaica is the largest English-speaking island in the Caribbean and has some of the friendliest people I’ve had the pleasure of meeting in my travels.
• Jamaica is the 3rd largest island in the Caribbean.
• Montego Bay is also known locally as “MoBay”. It is the only city other than Kingston on the island, and the second largest anglophone city in the Caribbean. (Kingston is the largest.)
• Looking for the place where it all happens in MoBay? If you’re arriving on a cruise ship, check-out the Hip Strip as it is the perfect place to dine, dance, drink, shop and play! If you’re staying at an all-inclusive resort, ask about shuttles to Hip Strip for your duty-free souvenir shopping.
• If you are arriving by plane to MoBay , your resort will be within 20 minutes of the Donald Sangster International airport which lies within city limits.
• Known as the “capital of casual,” Negril features the popular white sands of Seven Mile Beach. An 18-hole championship golf course, reefs teeming with varied aquatic life form, plus a diversity of water sports activities make Negril ideal for the active vacationer. For those who want to do nothing, lazing on Negril’s stretch of white powdery beach is perfect.
• To preserve its natural beauty, the law in Negril is that no building can be higher than the tallest palm tree.
• Ochio Rios is a busy port, cruise port and resort town on the north coast known for its waterfalls (including world – famous 600 ft. Dunn’s River Falls which you can climb), gardens and fern gullies.
• When in Ochio Rios be sure to visit the Green Grotto Caves, former pirate hangout; zip through the rain forest at Mystic Mountain, or take a leisurely trip down the White River on a raft.
• Like Montego Bay, Ocho Rios boasts a wide range of accommodations from the large all-inclusive to the small boutique resorts.
• Both Ochio Rios and Negril are 1.5 hours from Montego Bay and the airport.
• Runaway Bay has some of the most spectacular beaches on the island and is conveniently located 15 minutes from Ocho Rios.
• Runaway Bay is the ideal place to bask in the culture of Jamaica. Visit Nine Mile, birthplace of Bob Marley, and Seville Heritage Park to get a full Jamaican experience.
• Falmouth is famous for its Georgian architecture, and rich colonial history. It is about one half hour from the airport at Montego Bay.
• Kingston, the capital, is home to the Bob Marley Museum.
If you haven’t had the opportunity to visit Jamaica yet, I encourage you to put it on your list of places to go! Whether you choose to spend a day arriving by cruise ship or fly to the island and stay at one of the many all-inclusive resorts, you are sure to walk away wanting more!
Article written from notes by the author. Images courtesy of Bigstock, Canstock & Pixabay.